Written and compiled by Fred Jaicks.
Weather governs the clothing that people wear, their vacation plans, architecture, building materials, and the design of practically everything used by humans. Weather information can be obtained from a myriad of sources online and off from television news to Internet sites and it can be measured by using thermometers and barometers–among other tools. All weather operates according to temperature readings , humidity, and pressure; these parameters in varying degrees and levels will determine the weather on any given day anywhere in the world.
Tools for Finding Local Weather Conditions
- Weather Bug is a desktop utility that provides current weather conditions for a designated area or location.
- Forecasts in Britain can be found at UK.weather.com.
- The NOAA provides weather alerts via radio broadcasts throughout the United States.
- The World Weather Information Service provides detailed information on the current status of weather and trends in climate.
- Weather maps, forecasts and climate predictions from CNN weather.
Traveling presents a special set of concerns for weather related issues. Travelers on vacation, as well as traveling business professionals, need to know what kind of weather to expect when arriving in their final destinations. The weather at the destination could cause airport delays creating difficulties for business meetings and hotel check in times. If an individual is traveling to a tropical destination they need to be aware of hurricane season and the problems it may present to them on their journey. The same is true for those whose destination is in the Far East as monsoon season will certainly impact their stay and ability to traverse the country.
Travel Weather Information for the Tropics and the Far East
- Information on the hurricane season in the Caribbean.
- This site provides a general overview of the weather of the tropics including surface sea temperatures.
- An overview of the seasonal climates and weather of India.
- Changes in the global climate have changed the forecasts and predictions for the monsoon seasons.
Tornadoes, considered to be nature’s most violent weather, rip across the central United States each year from March to June during the annual tornado season. Yet, tornadoes can form with or without a storm any time of the year and they can have sustained winds much higher than a hurricane, though they are far smaller in diameter. Tornadoes present the most problems to travelers that drive to their destinations and typically do not generally impact air travel as the planes are higher in altitude.